Sunday 6 November 2011

The Duchess and The Red Jacket


I am defying all my blogging rules writing on this hot topic. I don't write about dresses, cosmetics, fashion accessories or shoes for several reasons. The main reason is that I'm rather indifferent to writing about the world of dresses, cosmetics, fashion accessories and shoes. 

Sure, I've been known to wear clothes from time to time, but I really wouldn't know how to fill up a blog post with all the nitty, gritty details, and would likely plummet into unconsciousness within minutes of writing about haute couture.

Plus I don’t speak fashion lingo, and don’t care to venture into that cultural cocoon anytime soon.  I've always thought that fashion was one of those things that a total of six people actually have time to follow.

I could possibly end up in fashion fail jail for offences relating to misrepresenting celebrity couture and indeed fashion bloggers by penning this post. But like Julian Assange before me, I will hole myself up in a London super-mansion and bravely soldier on in the face of adversity.

I personally don't think a red jacket, like this one (right) worn by the royal clotheshorse (calm down; I like her), the Duchess of Cambridge, needs to be deconstructed in fashion columns and never-ending commentary by vacuous fashionistas. A red jacket just is. Let it be and move on.

The way fashion types carry on, it’s as if the fashion predilections of celebrities call into question their reasoning powers and integrity. As if one erroneous fashion decision means they are clearly unable to make any serious judgment in the real world. Which may well be the case.
Here it is again!

But it’s more than likely the Duchess just felt like wearing a red jacket.  Or if you are into conspiracy theories, perhaps this clothing decision was guided by the cool Danish climate at this time of year. Ah, there’s that excitement, intrigue and mystery for which celebrity fashion is renowned; why did she really wear the red jacket?

I don't have a problem with those who write of fashion; in fact, I marvel at the way they can write hundreds of words on popular skirt lengths and espadrilles.  The thing that irks me about fashion bloggers is that they are clueless about royal roles and duties and don't particularly care either.  Which is fair enough.

They accuse the royals of rampant freeloading, yet get distracted by red jackets and become completely disinterested in anything to do with whatever charitable cause the royal is associated with.  Because that's not interesting enough for them.  But a red piece of clothing is.  Superficial much?  

On this occasion, Kate and Wills were in Copenhagen putting the global spotlight back onto the humanitarian crisis in East Africa.  Or putting the spotlight on red jackets.  One of those. 

Anyway, I write today about the Duchess' red jacket because I do not like it at all.  While Kate has the good fortune of being one of those people who actually looks good in a long red coat, it is possibly the most uncomfortable looking jacket I have ever seen. 

It's long, which is annoying. It's buttonless, which is annoying. It's red, which is annoying. It has a belt, which is annoying. It has a chin-grazing collar, which is annoying.  Kate, stop annoying me through your fashion choices.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...